Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Recipe: Creamy Burrito Casserole



I love Mexican food.  I don’t necessarily love the spice, but the great thing about me making it myself is I can control that part.  Charlie likes his super spicy and it took me a good year after we were married to convince him that not everyone in the world liked their food as spicy as he does his.  He usually doesn’t like mine as well because to him it is bland but for me and the kids it has just the perfect amount of spice.  He can add hot sauce, jalapenos, salsa afterwards if he is so inclined and then everyone is happy.

So, last week as I was preparing our weekly menu, I came across this pin.  It’s a creamy burrito casserole.  Now might be a good time to let you in on the fact that 1) I love creamy foods and 2) I am very fond of casseroles.  Especially when I am cooking.  I can throw everything in one dish, stick it in the oven and be done with it.  And a lot of the times we don’t even have any side dishes with casseroles. 

I saw this recipe and thought it sounded delicious so added it to our menu.  I really even didn’t have to pick up a lot of things from the store because we already had several of the items we needed.  Now when it comes to cooking, I generally use the recipes as guidelines and not an absolute.  That’s why I like it.  I can take something that someone else has done and make it my own.  I generally don’t have to follow the rules. J

And that’s just what I did with this one.  It layers a lot and frankly I don’t like to layer most of the time.  I know I’m lazy.  There I said it.  Now let’s move on.  It’s a great comfort food, and perfect for a chili fall evening.  Anyway, here’s what you’re reading for….the recipe.

  *Note* I doubled this because my kids like to eat but the recipe below is not doubled.

 **Also, the directions I give below are for how I made this but you can see the original directions at the link above.

1lb ground hamburger

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

Shredded cheese *I used cheddar, you can use whatever you like.

½ onion

Cumin

Salt

Pepper

Garlic

Flour tortillas

1 can refried beans

4 oz sour cream

 

**Cook onions and hamburger add seasonings.  In a separate bowl, mix sour cream and soup.  Put ¾ of this mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish.  Layer tortillas on top of this mixture.  I took the refried beans, and the rest of the sour cream/soup mixture and mixed with the cooked hamburger at this point.  Now pour your meat mixture over the tortillas. 
 
Layer with cheese, add another layer of tortillas and cover that with cheese. Also, I added a little bit of salsa on top of the picture here just to make it pretty ;)  (We like a lot of cheese in our house) Put it in the oven on 350 for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is really good and melted. 
 
Enjoy! Let me tell you, this is a very filling dish.  None of us could eat all we had even put on our plates and it really wasn't much.  So there was some for lunch the next day as well. 

 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...