Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

It's been awhile

HI!!! I'm back. We have been having some financial difficulties as of late and our internet was shut off for awhile. But we're back up and running! Things are nowhere near where we need to be but we are slowly & surely getting there and we have faith that God will provide for us. I wanted to share with you one of my favorite money saving tips today. For about the last 5 months I have been making my own laundry detergent. Now I was very skeptical the first time I heard about this because we are die hard Tide fans :) But we have been very pleased and in fact I personally like it BETTER than Tide. (shh...don't tell my husband) The recipe is as follows:



Gather these first:

5 gallon bucket with lid

Borax

Washing soda (not baking)

1 bar of soap (we have been using Dove & Dial some people like Fels-Naptha, it's really up to you and your preferences)



Fill your bucket with 3 gallons of water then stir in 2 cups of Borax and 2 cups of the Washing soda.
Grate your bar of soap then in a saucepan dissolve it. To melt the soap fill the saucepan with 2-3 cups of water and melt it in that (just don't let it boil because it will burn the soap).
When your soap is dissolved pour that into your bucket and mix everything together. Now fill the rest of the bucket up with water and presto! You've got yourself some laundry soap!
My suggestion for easier use is to keep an old detergent container on hand and pour your mixture in there.
Also, you may want to give the bottle a little shake before using to make sure some of the stuff didn't settle to the bottom. Oh, and this will get a gel-like consistency...that is fine.
You won't see many suds either because this is a very low sudsing mixture, which also means it works great in high effeciency machines, which we have.
Let me know how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...